Ben Walther is a legend in our Household, AMDG. Ben is a man's man who is insanely positive and deeply prayerful. We had a great conversation about what it means to be a man, initiation rites and our lack thereof, dadlessness and the Father, and then we take a hard right turn into music. Luke brings up his new fave that he found out is both Christian and Queer and what that means. We end with me yelling at Ben to build something great online.
- Book | Wild at Heart — Every man was once a boy. And every little has dreams, big dreams, dreams of being the hero, of beating the bad guys, of doing daring feats and rescuing the damsel in distress. Every little girl has dreams, too: of being rescued by her prince and swept up into a great adventure, knowing that she is the beauty. But what happens to those dreams when we grow up? Walk into most churches, have a look around, and ask yourself: What is a Christian man? Without listening to what is said, look at what you find there. Most Christian men are . . . bored. John Eldredge revises and updates his best-selling, renowned Christian classic, Wild at Heart, and in it invites men to recover their masculine heart, defined in the image of a passionate God. And he invites women to discover the secret of a man’s soul and to delight in the strength and wildness men were created to offer.
- Book | Iron John — In this timeless and deeply learned classic, poet and translator Robert Bly offers nothing less than a new vision of what it means to be a man. Bly's vision is based on his ongoing work with men, as well as on reflections on his own life. He addresses the devastating effects of remote fathers and mourns the disappearance of male initiation rites in our culture. Finding rich meaning in ancient stories and legends, Bly uses the Grimm fairy tale "Iron John"—in which a mentor or "Wild Man" guides a young man through eight stages of male growth—to remind us of ways of knowing long forgotten, images of deep and vigorous masculinity centered in feeling and protective of the young. At once down-to-earth and elevated, combining the grandeur of myth with the practical and often painful lessons of our own histories, Iron John is an astonishing work that will continue to guide and inspire men—and women—for years to come.
- Book | No More Mr Nice Guy — Dr. Robert Glover has dubbed the "Nice Guy Syndrome" trying too hard to please others while neglecting one's own needs, thus causing unhappiness and resentfulness. It's no wonder that unfulfilled Nice Guys lash out in frustration at their loved ones, claims Dr. Glover. He explains how they can stop seeking approval and start getting what they want in life, by presenting the information and tools to help them ensure their needs are met, to express their emotions, to have a satisfying sex life, to embrace their masculinity and form meaningful relationships with other men, and to live up to their creative potential.
- The Art of Manliness — Welcome to The Art of Manliness — a blog dedicated to uncovering the lost art of being a man. The historian and sociologist Lewis Mumford said, “Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers.” AoM is a blog about growing up well, aimed at men and their unique challenges and interests. We explore all things manly — from the serious and philosophical to the practical and fun. We seek to uncover how to live with grandpa’s swagger, virtue, and know-how in the present age by wedding the best of the past to the best of the present. The end goal is to create a synergy of tradition and modernity that offers men a way forward and signposts on how to live an excellent, flourishing life. Ultimately, the Art of Manliness aims to encourage our readers to be better husbands, fathers, brothers, citizens — a new generation of great men.
- Ben Walther Music — Catch a show with Ben Walther!
- Ben Walther | Twitter — still learning that after all these years God just wants me to let Him love me better. i hope you can too.
- Ben Walther Music | Facebook — Yeah, he really does suck at Facebook!
- Ben Walther | Instagram — He's got 1,859 followers on Instagram. Let's give him that ol' Catching Foxes Bump and get it up to 1,865!