We interview our friend JD Flynn who recently resigned from EWTN's Catholic News Agency (CNA) to start The Pillar, an independent Catholic media project. We interview him and ask questions from our Patreon supporters. If you'd like to get involved in 2021 in Catching Foxes, become a supporter today! Or, you know, you could support The Pillar (www.pillarcatholic.com).
From their website:
Support Catching Foxes
Our focus is on investigative journalism, which is how we’ll spend most of our time. We think investigating stories that matter can help the Church to better serve its sacred mission, the salvation of souls.
- "The American Project" from Luke Carey, unedited | Gomer and Luke on Patreon — I asked Luke to record an intro to the episode with JD Flynn that would comment on the destruction and protests in Washington, D.C. Unfortunately, due to family constraints, I couldn't record with him. But it was all the better for it. Here is the (mostly) unedited 25-minute long recording that Luke sent me at 11 at night. I told him I had to edit it down to 10-minutes max to fit our current show, but really liked it. So, I wanted to post it on here in full. I gave it the title "The American Project".
- Proclaiming Christ in fractured America - The Pillar — It will take a while, I think, for most of us to be able to understand and articulate what it felt like to watch men in berzerker outfits and body paint run amok inside the U.S. Capitol building, to see a man making off with a podium bearing the seal of the House Speaker, to see police turn tail and run as a mob of angry Americans broke down barricades, scaled walls, and breached a building we have spent our lives believing is impenetrable. It will also take a while to understand just what it means that the president of the United States, who encouraged the mob’s march on the building, took pains to express his love for the marauders, and nod to the righteousness of their cause, even as he instructed them to go home.
- The Pillar — Our focus is on investigative journalism, which is how we’ll spend most of our time. We think investigating stories that matter can help the Church to better serve its sacred mission, the salvation of souls.
- 'The Pillar' - Because there is a need - The Pillar — The Catholic landscape is increasingly crowded with self-appointed experts and personality ‘brands’ offering hot takes and half takes on Church events, often without the context or background to make sense of what is happening. At the same time, reflexive tribalism often colors how events are interpreted or explained.
- Fired EWTN host Gloria Purvis: 'I will never, ever, ever have regrets' for discussing race | National Catholic Reporter — Purvis said when she was given word of the cancellation by Jack Williams, EWTN Radio's general manager, she was given no reason — nor, she added, had she ever been given any indication that things were amiss or that the show's performance was not up to expectations. In fact, according to Purvis, "that was the first time I talked to Jack — or Jack talked to me — in months."