We started talking about Fiona Apple's "Criminal", then Luke posited that 90's pop was "deeper" because Gen-Xers were angsty and hypersexual. We disagreed, until it came to Ginger Spice. Then, we agreed too much!
Also, Gomer is now a boss and Luke wonders if I can make my employees virtuous.
Gomer doubts it.
END PART ONE.
Part Two is all about us screaming at each other for 1.5 hours over the concept of a just or living wage. It's hilarious at how stupid it is.Support Catching Foxes
- Fiona Apple Criminal Song Controversy — Apple was trying to say that perfect isn’t the only way to be beautiful, even in a music video which, on its surface, looked to be saying the exact opposite. She wanted to convey a message of body positivity and she wanted girls to see that message. It’s what she meant when she took the stage at the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards to accept her Best New Artist statue and told everyone watching: “This world is bullshit.” Not a lot of people got it. She was labeled a bratty, ungrateful weirdo.
- Fiona Apple Pledges Two Years of ‘Criminal’ Royalties to Refugees – Rolling Stone — Fiona Apple is donating the 2019 and 2020 earnings from TV and movie placements of her song “Criminal” to the While They Wait fund, which assists refugees with basic necessities, immigration fees and legal services.
- Hot 100: Billboard Hits of the 1990s | Billboard — The '90s were full of world-conquering ballads, the stuff of future American Idol performances: Toni Braxton's "Unbreak My Heart," Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U." Not surprisingly, in a world where ballads of epic proportion were king, Boyz II Men had a major presence on the Hot 100. They decade-end top 20 twice on their own, and once with assistance from Mariah Carey.
- Paul Williams | Muppet Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia — Some of his most famous compositions include "We've Only Just Begun," "An Old Fashioned Love Song," "I Won't Last a Day Without You," "Nice to Be Around," "You and Me Against the World," "Sad Song", "Evergreen" (which earned Williams an Academy Award), "Rainy Days and Mondays", and "Rainbow Connection" (which earned Williams an Academy Award nomination).
- Dolly Parton - Jolene (33rpm slowed down digital version) - YouTube — Dolly Parton - Jolene (33rpm slowed down digital version)
- Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You - 1974 - YouTube — Whitney's version makes your knees weak and gives you goosebumps Dolly's version makes you break down and cry like a baby
- David Frizzell & Gene Watson Long Black Veil - YouTube — David Frizzell & Gene Watson Long Black Veil
- Con Calma - Daddy Yankee & Snow (Lyrics) 🎵 - YouTube — Con Calma - Daddy Yankee & Snow (Lyrics) 🎵
- Saturn Car Commercial 1991 - YouTube — Saturn Car Commercial 1991
- Saturn: One Car at a Time - YouTube — Saturn: One Car at a Time Just in Time manufacturing...
- Engine Fires Prompt G.M. to Issue Recall Of 80% of Saturns - The New York Times — The Saturn Corporation, General Motors' effort to compete against inexpensive Japanese imports in both quality and price, is voluntarily recalling 80 percent of all cars it has ever made to address an electrical problem that has caused engines in at least 34 Saturns to catch fire.